Season Greeting


Quote

"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."

Frank Outlaw

November 23, 2010

Quotation Mark about life

I like to analyze philosophical quotes, particularly "Chinese Philosopher Quotes", because way of expression is simple but there are always a more meaningful messages behind them.  I consider this form of expression, like an Iceberg of our life journey. The list below is from "Zhuangzi" (in simplified Chinese: 庄子; traditional Chinese: 莊子; pinyin: Zhuāngzǐ) "  and  may I ask: "Which quote do you like best?" and "Why?"

I can tell you my favorite at  the moment are the butterflies. as follows'
"I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man."
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreams of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man? " See this link to video Chasing Butterflies, You will ask me "Why?" I will answer "Because I see myself as a butterfly when I sit in front of the computer and surf around on the net. I feel,  I 'm a butterfly that is moving from flower to flower, because I never known what will be on the next  link or pages." But I know that the next flower could have something nourishing for me! My other favorite at the moment is "Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing."

Below is a list of the  philosopher  "Zhuangzi"  quotes.
"All existing things are really one. We regard those that are beautiful and rare as valuable, and those that are ugly as foul and rotten. The foul and rotten may come to be transformed into what is rare and valuable, and the rare and valuable into what is foul and rotten. "
"Cherish that which is within you, and shut off that which is without; for much knowledge is a curse. "
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. "
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious."
"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness. "
"I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man. "
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreams of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man? "
"I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river. "
"Life comes from the earth and life returns to the earth. "
"Men honor what lies within the sphere of their knowledge, but do not realize how dependent they are on what lies beyond it."
"Rewards and punishment is the lowest form of education. "
"Those who realize their folly are not true fools."
"Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature. "
"We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away. "

1 comment:

  1. Victoria, it really is a lovely video. I am going to assume this is your entry regarding quotation marks -- There are just a few things I want to talk about with you in class. I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete